Friday, November 06, 2009

Payton is Five!

Payton turned 5 this week... I was totally feeling nostalgic. I was thinking back to my pregnancy, delivery and those first couple of years. We have been preparing her for the time when we are going to take away her blanket (she has a blue fleece blanket, she calls it blue goo, that she has slept with and dragged around for years. And she always sucks her thumb when she has it). We are hoping the thumb sucking stops when the blanket is gone. Payton decided several months ago that she was going to give up blue goo and stop sucking when she turned 5. So on Tuesday it was her birthday and I took it and hid it when she left for school. We gave her a leapster2 for her birthday, and that has actually helped. She just loves that thing and it has been a good distraction when she asks for her blanket. We did give her the blanket when she got into bed, after she gave up her leapster, and we told her we were going to take it away from her once she was asleep. She was okay with that. She slept all night fine, and other than a few times a day when I need to distract her away from wanting her blanket she has done awesome. It has actually gone a lot better than we expected. She still wants it to fall asleep, but we are only 3 days in so that is good by me.

Today we went to her 5 year well child check... she is 39 pounds and 42 inches tall, both 5oth percentile. She has had a cough for about a month now. It gets worse when she is outside or at gymnastics... her pediatrician thinks it may be asthma. So we are now armed with inhalers we are doing 3-4 times a day for the next 2 weeks. If her cough is still there she will probably have to go on medication. She is a little young for the spirometry asthma testing, so we will do that in a couple years and hope that we can help her along the winters with inhalers. We will see. I just hope the cough gets better. It is almost like she doesn't know she is doing it. It is sorta like a spasm cough. I really hope this works. I think everyone thinks we are contagious with all the H1N1 around!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I just saw a nice way for kids to hold onto their lovies, but not hold onto them if you know what I mean. You can take a photo of her with her blanket and put it in a frame by her bed. this way when she misses it she can always see it in the photo. Ian is attached to a blanket now, we will have to see how long that lasts. It is not allowed out of the house, but in the house he will not let it out of his sight.

Brian said...

Addison had a pacifier ("pugger") that we took away when she turned 2. Even a couple months later if she saw an old picture of her with it she would say sadly "my pug".

Brian said...

Other than the first two nights, Payton has not had her blue goo since! She doesn't even ask for it anymore. It sure looks weird to see her coming out of her room in the morning not carrying anything!

Tina said...

Yeah, she has been doing awesome, but every night I am expecting her to ask for it... and she doesn't! It is so strange because she had it with her for 4 years! I am saving it in her memory box, but she won't see it for a long time:)