Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Holy Rain!

So for the last week or so we have been getting incredible amounts of rain. My sister teases me that they have not seen this much rain since they have lived here (which is over 10 years) since we moved to town! I think we are over 8 inches for this month!!

My story begins last night when making dinner I decided to run to the grocery store quick while it was cooking to get coffee. I didn't realize we were out, and I need my morning coffee! There was a sever thunderstorm to the north of us moving east (or so we thought...). Turns out the storm took a turn south as I was in the store. It was not raining when I went in the store, but about 15 minutes later as I was making my way to check out I noticed everyone standing by the check outs staring out the front doors. Oh boy. It was raining and hailing so hard it actually looked like a winter blizzard out there! My cell started to ring of course, and Brian told me to wait it out. So I checked out and waited until the rain was barely a drizzle and I headed out. Brian had said it was clearing at home too. I was about barely out of the parking lot and realized that the storm drains were going over... I knew I needed to hurry because I really had nowhere to go on the street I was on... I was sticking to the middle and I thought "I am going to make it! The water isn't even covering the road yet!" Then a car was approaching me and I had to move to the side more... Yes, that was me. The car you see on the news that is in now in too deep of water and died. I don't know if I have ever freaked out more. I called Brian to tell him where I was. And in the couple of minutes I was on the phone I realized I had better get out of the car. The water had risen about 6 inches in a few minutes and as cars were zooming past me my car was rocking in the water. I stepped out of my car (really wish I had the Traverse at this point!) into knee deep water. Ugh!

Thank goodness for good people that lived near there. Brian was on his way and they offered me shelter in their house while I waited. Thankfully the water receded a bit by the time Brian got there and with the help of some nice people on the street we pushed the car out of the water into a driveway and a guy walked up and help Brian with the engine. Got some water out and removed a filter and it finally started.

Other than the wonderful people that live on Mason Street. The best thing about the whole thing was that when we got home and I gave Brian a big hug for helping me and staying calm on the phone while I was freaking out. He didn't say anything (I thought maybe I was in for a little lecture at least!) but "Don't worry about it Tina. It happens to people all the time. No harm done." Love my guy:)

3 comments:

Ronni said...

Yikes, Tina! What a scary ordeal! And kudos to Brian for being so kind. You've got a good one there.

Tina said...

Don't I know it Ronni! It was SO scary. Every time I drive by there I get goosebumps! We are finally having a few day stretch of dry weather so we are very thankful for that!

Sarah said...

OMG Tina! I am glad you are safe and sound and did not actually end up on the news. Miss you guys!