Monday, March 14, 2011

New jobs

There are some big changes in the Steward house this month. Brian and I both are starting new jobs... Brian starts next week, and I am starting on March 28th. It is a long story, so here is the abbreviated version!

Brian's current job is crazy stressful with long hours at work AND at home in the evening. So he started looking internally at his company for a better fit for him. He found it in the Design Center as a Senior Product Engineer (hopefully I got that right Brian:)). He interviewed in January and was offered the position in February. His boss asked him to give his current team some time before leaving, so he did. This is the final week for the old job and Monday starts his new one! He has been in quality for about 6 years so he is really looking forward to get back into design. We are excited to have him home more and not as stressed!

I am currently working at a local hospital (Appleton Medical Center) on their inpatient oncology floor as a stand-by. That basically means that after the unit staff are scheduled I can go online and pick and choose if and when I want to work. It has worked out REALLY nice for us. The one down side is that because I am stand-by, I am the first to be called off if the patient census is low. Over the holidays our numbers dipped and I was called off for several shifts. Not a big deal, it was a busy time for us and I was happy to have more time getting things done. Then at the end of January I was canceled for 6 weeks straight, now this time it REALLY was not a good thing! So Brian and I decided that I really needed to look for something more consistent. I found it at a cancer center in Green Bay. Other than it being a half hour drive, it is the perfect job for me! Again, this one is casual, so I will pick up shifts after the unit staff is scheduled. But I am assured by the managers that once I am on the schedule the chances of being canceled is very slim. That is good! So our hope is that I can pick up all I can in Green Bay (because that is the job I know I will love), and fill in hours I can't get at the cancer center here at my job in Appleton. I am so excited to get started! I miss the outpatient world! And this cancer center (it is called Vince Lombardi Cancer Center at Aurora Baycare Medical Center) is a truly amazing place. I met with the Medical Director on my interview and his philosophy is just inspiring. I think this may be the job I have been waiting for:)

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Good luck to both of you!

Ronni said...

Good luck, guys! What an exciting time!

Mama Bucks said...

Sounds amazing for both of you! Yeah :)