Thursday, May 03, 2012

Addie's Recital

Last week was a crazy busy week for Addie and I.  It was her annual dance recital.  This is the second year she has been in ballet/tap combo class.  To be in this class you need to be 3 or 4 years old at the beginning of the year.  I think that recital week is what Addie likes the best about dance!  We started on Wednesday night with technical staging, to set the lighting and get the kids used to the stage.  Thursday night was dress rehearsal, and recitals Friday night and Saturday afternoon.  I usually volunteer to be backstage for one of the shows to "monitor" Addie's class.  This year we have quite a few younger dancers and each week at class there is always one or two crying.  One little girl freaked out on picture day and her mom barely got her in the group photo.  I had a feeling that it was going to be as rough week at recital time.  Because these dancers are so young their classes have 2 parent volunteers backstage instead of one (thank goodness for that). 

Last year it was EXHAUSTING.  3 hours of running after 10 3-4 year olds and trying to keep those tap shoes quiet when we were waiting to go on backstage is not any easy thing to do!  This year was even more exhausting....  Our little gal in the group with severe stage fright refused to go onstage at dress rehearsal, friday night recital and friday night to bow.  Saturday afternoon we were standing backstage with the class and the lights go out and we lead the little ones on stage (in the dark) to their marks.  I thought to myself, "OMG.  She is actually going to go onstage!  Her mom is going to be so happy!"  9 months spent at dance class and not being able to see your daughter at recital with her class is terrible.  Just as we started to lead the kids on stage Z pulled her hand right out of mine and bolted for the side door.  Sigh.  Thank goodness she had an older sister (high schooler) who grabbed her before she got out the door to console her.  We had a lot of tattling, falling down and crying (those D#$% tap shoes), and at the very end one of our girls accidentally kicked another in the face and she had to be pulled off the stage crying.  It is seriously like herding cattle...  The other mom and I had one dancer on each hip, plus trying to lead the rest off stage and back to our room while trying to keep those tap shoes quiet.  Yeah right! Thankfully Addie is one of the older ones in her class and she did awesome the entire week:)  And I have to say that on Friday night Brian and I were in the audience and Addison's class got the biggest applause:)  The crowd was yelling and clapping before they even finished their routine.  Although that may be because by the time they got on stage it was already 9pm and they looked exhausted!  LOL  Our niece Elizabeth had 3 performances at the recital as well.  It is so nice for Addison to have her big cousin give her attention backstage.  She loves the big girls:)


Shutterfly has been giving me troubles when I am trying to post entire albums here on the blog...  so I have started a share site for our photos.  It is bpta.shutterfly.com  Let me know if you want to check it out.  I have lost track of everyone's email addresses with facebook.  I will gladly add you if you are interested.  Just let me know.  I am hoping that this will be easier for me.  So far so good!

No comments: