I will start with saying we had a awesome weekend. We went to the zoo with friends, we brought the girls to our neighbors on Saturday night and we went to dinner with friends without the kids, and Sunday we had a fun family day at home...
Then Sunday night Brian and I were up multiple times with Addison. She was so restless, uh oh right? I should say that on Saturday afternoon she did wake up feeling warm, but her temperature was normal, so we gave her a squirt of Tylenol and she seemed fine. Monday morning she seemed good so off to daycare and work for us all. I had a feeling I was going to be getting a call.
That morning a friend/co-worker of mine called me at work to tell me that her son (who drops-in to Payton and Addison's daycare and who we all were with at my work holiday party 2 weeks ago) was confirmed to have Hepatitis A. It has been going around a local pre-school (which he attends) as well as his normal daycare. GREAT!!! So now I am calling our pediatrician to see what to do about Addison because she isn't a year yet, and they don't vaccinate before 1 year. Payton already had her first vaccination in November, so she is good. Brian had his before he went to Malaysia a few years ago, and I proceeded to have the vaccination Monday at work. Along with a couple of other people that were at our holiday party. ARGH.
So about an hour later I get a call from daycare and Addie has a 102.8 fever under her arm. I race over there while calling the pediatrician to make a appointment. When I get there Addison is laying down, rashed everywhere, burning up, and totally flaccid. Needless to say I was pretty upset. It takes about 30 minutes to get to our doctor and the entire time she is moaning and groaning in the back seat... At the doctor's office her temp is 103, she if burping up a storm and her skin is pink everywhere she is so warm. So she has a double ear infection (fourth round of a different antibiotic), she has a yeast infection in her diaper area from the last one still, and we have to get her a special immunoglobulin shot to try and protect her from hep A. It was past the 2 week window, but our pediatrician wanted to try and give her some protection. So we are off to the local ER to get the shot (the clinic didn't have it because it isn't something that they see a lot of). Once at the ER Addison is really not happy, still has a fever (we did give her some ibuprofen at the pedatrician's office) and crying now. Addie and I wait for 1 1/2 hours to get that shot. It was coming from the pharmacy and of course it was slow coming. I wouldn't have minded the wait if the ER was busy, but there were 5 nurses just standing at the nurses station discussing how long it was talking for pharmacy to get the shot... HELLO! Run down there and get it yourself ladies!!! So she finally gets the shot, it is a viscous shot and a big volume, so it would hurt anyone. She is totally pissed now and just sweating like a little pig. We are finally on our way, and I call the pediatrician again to call in our antibiotic prescription to our pharmacy so that I won't have to wait when I get there. I gave Addison a bottle in the ER waiting room, which thankfully she drank, and we are off.
We get to the pharmacy and the message from our doctor is still on their answering service, so we wait an additional 15 minutes... Addison thankfully was starting to perk up a little. That poor kid was dragged all over the place that day!
Finally home and then I get a call from a friend that some staff and board members are at the daycare disinfecting everything due to the fact that this same child was at the daycare one day 2 weeks ago. I said I would try to get there, but it depended on Addison. Which later after more ibuprofen, her antibiotic, an attempt to feed her, and a vomiting episode, I called it a day... thankfully we have a great board and staff, they were so understanding and the daycare was shining yesterday when I dropped of Payton. Daddy stayed home with Addison. Who did great yesterday, but was up just about every hour last night. Did I mention that she now has a rash..... Will this every end?
The Cave
9 years ago
5 comments:
All I can say is WOW - not fun at all and pretty scary - I don't know what I'd do if that happened to Ian! You handeled it awesome though - I'll have to call you for advice if ever I find ourselves in a similar situation!
Hopefully that will never happen! But you can always give us a call:)
Poor baby! I hope all of her ailments clear up soon. You should probably have a glass or wine or two to relax, though that might make you groggy when you are up with her at night? Poor Tina and Brian, too!
Oh yeah, the wine was hit. And you should see Tina put down the Malibu.
Hey now, I didn't drink any Malibu... Not that night at least!!!
Post a Comment