Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Let's start with The Ugly...

Tina got braces today. She's not too happy about it, but she's been even unhappier about her teeth lately. Fortunately she only needs to have them on for about 3 months...not too bad.



By the way, she's the one that came up with the name for this post. I personally don't think they're all that noticable.

The Bad...

I'm getting laid off from Motorola effective July 4. We found out officially last Tuesday but heard rumors about a week before. This wasn't a complete surprise but nobody really thought it would be this soon. They're getting rid of about 85% of the engineers in Minnesota...28 out of about 40 in my location. That will mean our office will be closed in the next month or so and the remaining people will have to commute to the city. I've been searching for jobs for the past week and a half and haven't found a whole lot in our area. I had one interview a few weeks ago at a company in the same city I work now but that's it so far. I've also been looking in Wisconsin and there are a few more opportunities around Milwaukee, but relocating isn't high on our list. Fortunately I get 8 weeks of severance pay and medical benefits through September.

The Good...

The one interview I had has paid off! Its another Quality Engineering job which is just what I wanted. The pay is a bit less so I think I'll have to casually keep looking but I'll only consider jobs that are just right. For awhile there I was thinking just about anything sounded good. They want me to start on July 14 which is perfect. We'll get back from the UP on the 5th and then I'll have a week off. Plus I get the severance pay from Motorola!

I was starting to get a little nervous but fortunately things have worked out!!!

4 comments:

Dave said...

Holy crap - that's scary! As much as teaching can stink (low pay and some poophead kids) at least being laid off isn't a big worry for me. I'm glad you found something else so quick!

Sonja said...

That's great that it worked out, Brian. I'm sorry that you had to go through that stress. :( Our company has gone through bankruptcy and come back and the months of lay-offs were horrible. I thank my lucky stars quite often. Plus yeah...a regular salary + severance for 2 months will be nice. ;)

Tina...the braces look fine. Not ugly at all. :D

Ronni said...

Whew! Congratulations on finding a new job so quickly! I'll say prayers that the job you choose is a great fit for you and the family.

Yay, Tina posted a picture of her braces! Looking good, lady. I'm considering botox for a more youthful appearance, but this is another way to go. :)

Amy said...

Wow- I wasn't expecting to read this tonight! I'm sorry to hear about your job Brian - I know you enjoyed it... But it sounds like you will be able to come up with something you like without having to move from Owatonna.

Teen - I can barely even tell you have braces on! And I'm very impressed that you posted a picture - I thought you had vowed no pictures for 3 months... ;)