Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Mouth troubles...

Well, this weekend we experienced our first bleeding, run Payton to Urgent Care, fiasco. Payton was bouncing on her bed, fell and hit her mouth on her headboard. I heard a thud and then a horrible scream... I ran into her room as blood was pouring out of her mouth. Brian was in the shower so I ran in there, with Payton and told him to hurry up, Payton was bleeding. I think that is all I said... He flew out of there as I was trying to assess the damage. It was bleeding so much I wasn't sure where it was coming from. I felt all her teeth, they were all strong. Then I saw the gaping hole in her lower lip. The out side of her lip was already bruising and I honestly could not see how deep it went. So I grabbed some ice as Brian got his and Payton shoes on and off he went. The doctor told us that it didn't get past the mucus membrane, which is good, so it would heal great without stiches, just give her lots of popsicles. Thank goodness for that. Now Payton has been showing EVERYONE her lip. Today it looks a lot better. The swelling has gone down and it looks like it is going to heal nicely. Too bad that sucking her thumb doesn't seem to bother it. That would have worked out nicely:)

On to my newest thing. I made an appointment with the orthodontist last week. I had a retainer in college that I never really followed up on (I had it to straighten out my front teeth on top) and I have noticed that my teeth are looking "off". So I wanted a new retainer to straighten them up again... Yeah right. Basically the roots on 3 of my teeth up top are all "jacked up" and I am going to go for metal (thats right, METAL) braces on 8 teeth on top to straighten those teeth. I am going to do metal because they will straighten them the fastest. The estimate that the orthodontist told me was in about 3 months they will be straight then I can do a retainer for a few months all the time, then only at night. I can't believe that I am 32 years old and getting braces for the first time. I called Brian after that appointment and told him that I didn't think I could do it. He basically told me that if I didn't I would always wish I would have and he didn't want listen to me B$%&# for the rest of his life. ha ha! I am getting them put on at the end of the month. Just in time for vacation! ARGH!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Payton - at least she didn't need stitches!

You had me cracking up with your braces story - I haven't heard you say "jacked up" for years!!!

Tina said...

I say it all time... and you are not the only one that laughs when I do:) I guess I don't articulate that well over email right:)

Runner Chick Allison said...

Geez about Payton! I would have freaked about the blood. Ian fell backwards today on his foam mat and I was rushing right there!

Well I had braces twice and the second time they put them on right before my freshman year in high school- what a way to start high school! My parents and family called it my awkward stage - and depending on who you ask they might say i am still in it!

Sonja said...

Ouch for Payton! :( That's good that she didn't need stitches. The exact same thing happened to Soren a couple years ago at McDs in Ishpeming. Blooooooood everywhere and some popsicles and suckers from Bell Memorial. :)

Good luck with the braces. It'll be quick. Brian's response cracked me up. ;)

Ronni said...

Poor Payton. Recently Jill split her bottom lip 3 times in one week. The first time I freaked out because there was so much blood pouring out of her mouth. Luckily it has healed really nicely.

Can't wait to see pictures of your metallic grill. But that might not be something you post!

Tina said...

That really funny Ronni:) I am thinking I won't be posted them, let alone even taking any!