Wednesday, January 10, 2007

So Sorry Sweetie!

So as you all know it is looking like Payton has inherited my iron deficiency anemia. We have been taking iron supplements since her 2nd birthday in November. In December she was sick almost the entire month and we were lucky to get her to take her iron once a day! Today we went in for a recheck and of course, more bloodwork. Well, first of all it seems her ear infection from December hasn't cleared so we are on round 2 of antibiotics, this time Augmentin. Then we went to have her blood drawn. The tech holding her little arm wasn't doing too great of a job and they almost had to stick her again. Good thing the tech drawing the blood was awesome and able to hold on! She has a nice little bruise which I am sure is tender.

I got a call from the nurse before we even got back for the pharmacy... her iron percentage is actually worse than ever. Everything else looks okay for now. We are waiting for another test that takes a few days to get back and that will tell us if she has some hereditary traits. She is a pretty good eater and doesn't drink a whole ton of milk so it is not due to her diet, it looks like she is just not absorbing the iron. But her pedi wants to be sure that she doesn't have a bleed so I have to pick up some stool cards and check 3 poops next week and bring them back so that they can see if there is any hidden blood. Unfortunately the iron makes her poop black so the first indicator of a bleed would never be noticed. I am sure she doesn't have that problem, but it is an non-invasive test to rule one more thing out. The fact that her iron is worse now than when we started the supplements is worriesome though. So I am feeling SO guilty for bringing this on for her. We are hoping that all the test will check out and once we finish out January with the iron we will be going on a multivitamin with iron. Hopefully that is all she needs. So it looks like her days going to the lab aren't over after all. It is getting harder each time... she seems to be remembering it now. We now just have to wait and see. The good thing is that she doesn't seem to have any signs/symptoms of the anemia... poor little squirt!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't blame yourself, Teen. She will get through this just fine and won't blame you for it. In the meanwhile, have fun saving diapers! :)

Anonymous said...

Payton is so lucky to have great parents like you! She will be just fine and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. It is obvious she loves her mommy and the pills are a minor inconvenience. Hang in there! :-)

Tina said...

You guys are sweet. But you both know me... I am a worrier:) I do know that this will all turn out just fine, it is just SO frustrating!

Anonymous said...

I think some good Italian food at Buca's will help! :-)

Tina said...

I think you may be right Jeannine! Call me this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Poor Payton!! :(

Listen to your friends... this is NOT your fault so stop blaming yourself. {{hug}}