Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Durian


du·ri·an Pronunciation: 'dur-E-&n, -E-"än also 'dyur-
noun
Etymology: Malay
1 : a large oval tasty but foul-smelling fruit with a prickly rind

That's the Merriam-Webster definition...now here's what I think.

The first thing you might notice about the durian "fruit" (and I use the term fruit loosely) is that it looks like a weapon. It probably could be used as a weapon because it is quite hard, but what would do your opponent in is the smell! The thing stinks to high heaven!! Its difficult to describe but someone said it smell like propane...I guess that's close enough. If you can tell from the picture, its made up of pods on the inside. These pull right out without resistance and is the part you eat. There's a thin membrane that hold in the "meat" which I can only describe as having the consistancy of warm sour cream. Once you bite into it it will kinda start to ooze out. I don't particularly care for creamy fruit. The flavor is also quite awful. Again, no real good way to describe it...just plain awful!! Now, your've disobeyed the warning signs: prickly rind, really smelly, weird texture, tastes bad...now one last thing. Once you eat it, you continue to burp it up for quite awhile after, depending on how much you ate. And the burps taste just as bad as when it went down. I only took two bites of this thing and I was burping for about an hour. Some of the Malaysians I was with just kept eating the stuff...they can have it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you took some antiacids with you. I'm sure you'll be eating other "exotic" foods.

Tina said...

He took everything imaginable to calm GI upset!! Yesterday was the first day Brian hasn't felt that well. Good thing we packed all those goodies for his stomach, and that he only has a couple of days left.