Okay, so as I have said before the biggest change with the weather moving from MA to MN has been the wind. In the winter is just gets so cold and with that strong wind around here it can be unbearable. In the summer the thunder storms are just incredible.
Last week we had a wind advisory (we had sustained 40 mph winds) and we were out to dinner with friends right after work. We were talking during dinner, our friends had a huge branch break off a tree in their yard, about how we hoped that the grill cover stayed on our grill that day. We have started to really secure it down because it always was blowing off. When we got home Brian said that when he didn't notice the grill cover as we came into our neighborhood. "I didn't see the grill either". Well low and behold our grill actually blew off our deck! One of our neighbors noticed it before we got home and just uprighted it and made sure we didn't have a gas leak. As many of you know we have a pretty nice grill and the thing is huge. We had to order a couple of spare parts, and fortunetly only the lid was really damaged! Unbelievable! We should have taken a photo of the carnage!
Then last night Brian was outside chatting with the neighbors and they mentioned that they had just heard we were under a tornado warning. WHAT?!! There was a funnel cloud seen about 15 miles from us. Next thing you know the sirens are sounding. Which basically means that a tornado is imminent and that you need to seek shelter. Brian and I have this plan that I will grab the little girl and he will grab the big girl if we need to get them fast. So down the basement we went to wait it out. Of course they were both in bed at the time, and they actually did very well. Payton didn't even wake up. She just slept in our guest bedroom until the storm passed. No damage, just a couple of things blew into the yard and it actually didn't even get too windy. The rain was incredible. Our rain gauge said that we got over 2 inches, and the storm blew through within a half an hour. As most of my closest friends/family know I HATE storms, but I think we did pretty well with our first experience with the warning and sirens. I am sure we will get plenty of practice!
The Cave
8 years ago
3 comments:
If it gets too bad out there you could always come back to MA.
=)
Yikes! We've had some strange thunderstorms in CT this summer - but I couldn't get used to it being an ordianary occurance! I'll take New Englad weather any day - I'm used to it :)
I wouldn't want to have the storms but we really need the rain here in WI..it is really dry and the grass is brown. There was a tornado near Lakewood, Wi a few weeks ago and my friend from work, her dad lost 4 acres of trees and the front porch off his camp..unreal. The cabin is standing but nothing else is left.. we were lucky with our camper in Crivitz, it didn't get hit with all our down trees. Nicole
Post a Comment